The surgical procedure that allows a doctor to see inside a person’s body is called laparoscopy. If laparoscopy in infertility testing is the concern, the evaluation of the structures of the reproductive system is done, which include the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and the uterus.
Why go through Laparoscopy?
This procedure helps diagnose endometriosis, fibroid, and other abnormalities.
Laparoscopy helps the doctor diagnose issues concerning fertility’
- Blocked Fallopian tubes
- Buildups of scar tissue
- Abnormalities of the reproductive system
Laparoscopy is performed on women when all their fertility tests results are normal yet they are still unable to conceive.
To Know More: MALE INFERTILITY TREATMENT
The doctor identifies conditions that prevent conception by looking into the reproductive organs. These issues would have been otherwise undetected.
- It is an outpatient process:
- After giving the patient anesthesia;
The surgeon :
- Inserts a needle into the abdomen
- Injects gas into the abdomen, to make it easier to see the organs and structures
- Removes the needle and insert a small camera on an instrument called a laparoscope through a small incision
- Makes a second incision and insert a small tool called a probe
- The doctor will examine the structures in the abdomen and will use the probe to move or lift organs out of the way
- There may be other steps, depending upon what the doctor sees:
- The doctor may inject dye through the fallopian tubes to see if the sperm and eggs can travel
- The doctor can attempt to open blocked fallopian tubes
- The doctor may remove scar tissues
- The doctor might correct abnormalities
- The doctor may make a third incision in the abdomen, he/she might insert instruments to perform additional procedures
- The doctor finally removes will the tools and stitches up the incisions
To Know More: MICRO-TESE
A person is mostly kept under observation for a few hours after the procedure and someone should accompany them up to 24 hours after the procedure.
After the procedure:
- Some pain and discomfort are common occurrences
- Some pain in the shoulders or abdomen as the injected gas start to leave the body
- Walking around and consuming peppermint tea can be helpful
Outlook and next steps
Doctors can diagnose and repair any issues during the laparoscopy
Following the procedure, they describe the results and give advice regarding some steps to follow next.
In case a person wishes to go for IVF or some other fertility treatment, the doctor might ask the patient to wait for several weeks before the body recovers completely from the procedure.
Must Read: INTRAUTERINE INSEMINATION