A Fertility Specialist or A Gynaecologist - Who, When, and Why?

January 29, 2024
In vitro fertilization (IVF)
Intrauterine insemination (IUI)

The health of a woman is vital as she nurtures the entire family. Women suffer from various health issues, including reproductive problems. They may face problems getting pregnant naturally, causing emotional turmoil. Proper medical and fertility treatment can help them conceive. Gynecologists and fertility specialists treat gynecological disorders, irregular periods, PCOD, fertility issues, etc. Choosing between the two takes work. The couple needs to visit the right doctor or specialist based on their reproductive health needs. Read further to get clarity on the difference between gynecologists and fertility specialists. This blog also details when you must visit a gynecologist and when to consult a fertility specialist.

Book an Appointment with Dr. Sindhura B for all your Fertility concerns.

Factors to Consider Before Choosing Between Gynecologists and Fertility Specialists

Women encounter various body changes, especially before and after their monthly cycle. They also suffer from several disorders or problems in their reproductive organs, and this is evident from menstrual cycle changes. Treating female health issues at an early stage can help avoid complications in the future. Make sure to consult the right doctor when you suffer from specific reproductive problems. Consider the following factors when deciding between a Gynecologist and a fertility specialist near you.

Medical History

Your medical history is a valuable source of information that helps you decide which doctor to visit based on your reproductive health. You may suffer or have suffered from repeated miscarriages, STDs, and obesity.

  • Age: Age is crucial in deciding between a gynecologist and a fertility expert. Couples above the age of 35y must consult a fertility specialist rather than a gynecologist if they are having trouble getting pregnant.
  • Duration You have been trying to conceive: The choose specialists considering your time trying to conceive.
  • Fertility of Your Partner: The low sperm count and issues during intercourse of your partner is also a significant factor in visiting the right doctor.

When Should I Consult a Gynecologist?

A gynecologist, or OB-GYN, specializes in women's general reproductive health. They treat menstrual disorders, PCOD, fibroids, or other issues in the uterus. They take care of the reproductive health of women, including prenatal care, pregnancy, contraception, and menopause. They also provide fertility treatment by suggesting medicines to ovulate at the right time. They are medical professionals who perform natural deliveries, Caesarean Sections, Fibroid removal surgery, and Hysterectomy. They are not experts in fertility

treatments. However, some gynecologists undergo further specialization in fertility medicine.

Following are the situations in which you can consult a gynecologist:

  • If you are planning to have a baby or have just started to try for pregnancy, then you can consult a gynecologist for a general checkup to understand your reproductive health. It is called Preconception Counseling.
  • If you are pregnant, visit a gynecologist for regular checkups to monitor the growth and well-being of the baby.
  • If you suffer from an irregular menstrual cycle, PCOD, or other potential issues related to the menstruation cycle.
  • If you are looking for measures to avoid pregnancy or family planning methods.
  • If you are trying to understand your ovulation cycle.

When to Consult a Fertility Specialist

Fertility specialists are medical professionals trained in reproductive medicine. They must pass examinations in reproductive endocrinology and infertility. They mainly focus on providing fertility treatment for couples who find it hard to conceive naturally. Fertility specialists only concentrate on reproductive health related to conception and help in figuring out the actual cause of infertility in both men and women. They offer assisted reproductive treatment, including IVF, artificial insemination, IUI, etc.

You can consult a fertility doctor when

  • You have suffered from miscarriage.
  • You have been trying to get pregnant for more than a year.
  • You are more than 35 years of age.
  • You suffer from fertility issues.
  • You cannot conceive due to various gynecological problems including PCOD, Anovulation ,Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, Tubal block ,Hydrosalpinx, H/O Tubal surgeries, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, Fibroids, Polyps, Endometrial hyperplasia, low ovarian reserve, Uterine anomalies like Septate/Unornate/Bicornuate uterus ,Immunological causes, Genetic abnormalities, Thin endometrium.
  • If your partner suffers from low sperm count, Low sperm motility ,Erectile dysfunction, Pre mature ejaculation, Varicocele , Phimosis ,High DNA Fragmentation, Retrograde ejaculation , Azoospermia.
  • You could not conceive even after repeated IUI / IVF cycles.
  • You want to understand the cause of failed IUI / IVF cycles.
  • You want to try IVF, IUI or other assisted reproductive treatments.

Make sure to visit the best fertility hospital in Hyderabad to get treated by specialized fertility doctors. Selecting a fertility specialist or gynecologist is pivotal to reproductive health. Consult these experts when facing fertility challenges or for routine reproductive

care. Their expertise ensures personalized care for your unique needs. This will help you consult the right doctor based on your reproductive health needs. Getting treated by the right medical expert can help get rid of the fertility issue or get pregnant at the earliest.


1. Why would you want to see a fertility specialist?

You must see a fertility specialist when you cannot conceive due to fertility issues. A fertility specialist can help you determine the actual cause of infertility. They will prepare a comprehensive treatment plan and proceed with IUI/IVF or other assisted reproductive treatment that enables you to get pregnant.

2. Who is a fertility specialist?

A fertility specialist is a doctor who specializes in fertility treatments and fertility enhancing surgeries. They undergo special training for it. They are experts in treating patients with fertility problems.

3. What is the difference between a fertility specialist and a gynecologist?

A fertility specialist specialises in fertility treatments, whereas a gynecologist takes care of the overall reproductive health of women. A fertility specialist mainly focuses on providing medicines for couples who cannot conceive naturally. A gynecologist treats women suffering from irregular periods, PCOD, fibroids, or other reproductive problems.

5. Does a gynecologist help with fertility?

Although a gynecologist can assist with fertility, their ability to help is limited. To ensure a healthy pregnancy, they can prescribe prenatal vitamins for you. They provide hormone treatments to induce ovulation, which can help you get pregnant.