July 27, 2019 By Dr Ramya Gowda
Learn how laparoscopy helps cure infertility
Laparoscopy is a process by which small incisions are made in a person’s abdomen to check the organs inside the patient’s body. Laparoscopy involves the use of a laparoscope, a thin rod-like device that has a camera on the tip from where it enters the body. This device enters the body of the person via those tiny incisions in the body.
Best fertility doctors.
Diagnostic laparoscopy is done in cases on patients when they:
- Have severe menstrual cramps or pelvic pain at other times in your cycle
- The doctor suspects an ectopic pregnancy which can be life-threatening if left untreated
- Experience pain during sexual intercourse
- Pelvic inflammatory disease or severe pelvic adhesions are suspected
- Moderate to severe endometriosis is suspected
Some causes of infertility can only be diagnosed through laparoscopy:
- Laparoscopy allows your doctor to see inside your abdomen
- It helps the doctor diagnose suspicious growths and cysts
- Laparoscopic surgery can help in treating some causes of infertility
- Reason for diagnostic laparoscopy is if someone is experiencing pelvic pain
- Laparoscopy can be used to remove scar tissue, a fibroid, or endometrial deposits that cause pain
After the surgery it is normal for the area around the cuts to feel sore, and the abdomen might feel tender. One might feel bloated from the usage of carbon dioxide gas, and may experience severe pain in the shoulder. However, this is temporary and will go away in a few days.