May 27, 2019 By Dr Chandrika Kulkarni
Consumption of soda and infertility
Soda is one of the most widely consumed food items. Excessive consumption of soda is associated with various health risks like obesity, diabetes, dental cavities, etc. However, not many people associate soda with infertility. Since fertility is affected by so many factors, people often overlook diet and other associated factors that have a significant effect on fertility.
To Consult: Best Fertility Specialist in Gurgaon
Soda and infertility:
Studies have found that excessive consumption of soda is strongly linked to infertility in both men and women. Men who consume soda regularly are at four times higher risk of lowering the sperm count, motility, and other parameters that affect fertility. Moreover, soda being an acidic beverage alters the pH of the body which further affects fertility.
Aspartame is an artificial softener used in most soft drinks which can alter the functioning of the endocrine glands and lead to hormonal imbalances. Excess soda consumption can also lead to the generation of free radicals which can result in the death of many sperm and ovum. Besides, most soft drinks are rich in caffeine which reduces menstrual bleeding as it is a vasoconstrictor. Hence, it is clear that excessive consumption of soda can lead to infertility in both men as well as women.
To Know More: SPERM SPOILERS
Other harmful effects:
Besides the above-mentioned direct effects of soda consumption on fertility, there are various other ways in which the consumption of soda affects fertility like:
- Soda is extremely high in sugar content which leads to excessive weight gain, obesity, poor digestion, etc. which is extremely bad for fertility.
- Sodas and soft drinks are also rich in chemicals like additives, preservatives, colourants, etc. which are also bad for fertility.
- Excessive soda consumption increases blood sugar levels and can lead to type-2 diabetes which is not only bad for fertility but can also result in complications during pregnancy.
- Soda consumption disrupts the hormonal levels in the body, including estrogen, which can also contribute to infertility.
- Besides, soda is highly addictive and has other negative health effects on gut health, bone strength, and various organs of the body. All these factors combined do affect fertility in a very negative way.
Hence it must be understood that regular consumption of soda and other soft drinks has a very negative effect on the health of the individual as well as fertility. Try to substitute soda with healthy beverages like herbal tea, lime juice, fruit juice, and most important of all, water.
Must Read: OF FOOD & FERTILITY
Cloudnine is one of the leading chains of maternity and child-care hospitals in the country. At Cloudnine, we combine medical expertise with modern facilities to provide you with the best possible treatment and care. Our team comprises of experts who are extremely qualified and experienced and are dedicated to providing you with holistic treatment and care.